Celebration Through Action, on Earth Day – April 22 – and Every Day.
Earth Day was first celebrated on April 22, 1970. Today, over one billion people in 193 countries take action every year on Earth Day, making it the largest participatory environmental movement on the planet.
In addition to the annual celebration on April 22, Earth Day Canada’s mission is to support individuals, organizations, and businesses in their efforts to improve their environmental impact.
In Quebec, Earth Day is celebrated since 1995 with numerous activities to promote environmental awareness. With its outstanding capacity to mobilize stakeholders, Earth Day has constantly grown and developed numerous action-oriented environmental programs.
These mobilization programs are developed in collaboration with major partners such as Sobeys, TD, Quebec City and REM.
In 2015, Earth Day expanded its operations to France and the French-speaking world with the acquisition of several trademarks. In 2019, Earth Day became owner of the Earth Day trademark in Canada and is now expanding across the country.
These acquisitions and programs have transformed Earth Day into a leader of the environmental cause in Canada. Aware that we must transform to support the significant growth of our workforce, projects, and partnerships both in Quebec and the rest of Canada, Earth Day Canada has decided to divide the CEO position in two positions: a President (Pierre Lussier – Founder of Tous les Jours) and an Executive Director. While the President will lead the organization’s strategic development, the Executive Director’s goal will be to optimize operational efficiency.
Earth Day Canada is therefore looking for a candidate to fill the position of Executive Director. The position is a perfect opportunity for an experienced manager who wants to make a real difference for the organization’s sustainability while contributing to the environmental cause.
Under direct supervision of the Board, the Executive Director is accountable for implementing the organization’s vision, as well as planning and coordinating the organization's operations while insuring its’ financial sustainability. The Executive Director will have the mission to inform the President regarding the organization’s financial and human resources capacities in order for the development strategy to be adapted accordingly. Moreover, he/she must develop, implement, and evaluate improvements that contribute to productivity, quality and customer satisfaction. Through his/her actions, the Executive Director ensures the profitability of the organization's overall service offering. He/she works closely with the various project directors and members of the Executive Committee.
- Develop and implement the organization's action plan, policies, and procedures together with the Board of Directors and the President;
- Convene and facilitate Executive Committee meetings in line with the operational strategy and work in close collaboration with the Division Heads in order to achieve the objectives.
- Acting as an interface between the various departments and partners of the organization;
- Ensure smooth communication and efficient information flow between the different departments to promote internal communication;
- Control the inventory of supplies, products, and equipment and managing routine operational purchases;
- Implement operational procedures and maintain their application;
- Ensure the operation and continuity of service;
- Assume responsibility for the maintenance, security, and cleanliness of the facilities;
- Ensure compliance with the organization's policies and procedures;
- Manage unforeseen and difficult situations in addition to putting in place emergency measures and ensuring their application at all times to ensure the safety of all.
- Ensure, with external auditors, the implementation of accounting practices that provide to the Board of Directors a faithful portrait of the financial status of the organization;
- Identify threats, risks, and taking advantage of opportunities;
- Monitor financial results against the objectives of the annual plan;
- Define the means to be implemented to develop the profitability of the organization;
- Establish, monitor and disseminate reports on activities, sales, operating costs, and capital expenditures;
- Identify and evaluate future investments and take the necessary measures to realize them;
- Manage partnerships and agreements with the various sponsors in addition to periodically evaluating them.
- Establish service standards based on the best practices in the industry; Act as a leader in culture change to maintain excellence in customer service within the team;
- Monitor client satisfaction and develop action plans to address gaps.
Human resources management:
- Evaluate business forecasts and labour requirements and organize positions to meets the needs of the organization;
- Coordinate the integration and training of employees;
- Instill an internal culture based on the values promoted by the organization;
- Set team performance objectives and evaluate results.
- Some 15 years of successful experience in a similar position and in a context of development and strong growth of a service company or non-profit.
- Passion for the environment and sustainable development.
Skills and qualifications
- Strong leadership and mobilization skills;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and lasting business relationships with colleagues and external partners;
- Action and results oriented;
- Problem solving and project management skills;
- Human resources management skills;
- Ability to carry out different mandates simultaneously;
- Knowledge of management principles and relevant computer software;
- Ability to effectively manage financial and operational objectives;
- Knowledge of association regulations;
- Knowledge of SAGE Simply Accounting software, an asset;
- Strong interest in the environment and sustainable development;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (French and English).
- Salary: According to the current salary scale
- Schedule: 37.5 hours per week
- Start date: September
- Duration: permanent contract
Submission of applications:
Please send your resume and a cover letter via our online form below.
Deadline: Early September
Please name your documents as follows: last_first_name_CV and last_first_name_letter. Only documents submitted in this format and in PDF will be considered.
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not telephone.
Tous les Jours / Jour de la Terre
5818, boulevard Saint-Laurent
Montréal (Québec) H2T 1T3 Canada