Action Reduction is expanding its activities in
Portneuf, Manicouagan, Bécancour and Nicolet-Yamaska
Action Reduction is expanding its activities in Quebec!
Thanks to a contribution from the Alcoa Foundation, businesses in the Portneuf, Manicouagan, Bécancour and Nicolet-Yamaska regional county municipalities (RCMs) will benefit from personalized support to help them reduce their waste at the source. The main objective is to divert 3,000 tons of organic matter from landfills. The businesses generating the most organic waste will be prioritized. In addition, training will be offered to educational institutions in the region to facilitate the implementation of organic waste collection.
PROJECT OBJECTIVES AND MILESTONES
The project will be rolled out in phases in each of the RCMs over three years,
with the goal of facilitating the collection of organic materials.
October 2022 to October 2023 – Portneuf RCM
Objective: 700 tons of organic matter diverted from landfills with the participation of 100 businesses,
30 of which will be able to benefit from assistance in implementing actions aimed at reducing waste at the source.
October 2023 to September 2024 – Manicouagan RCM
Objective: 1500 tons of organic material diverted from landfills with the participation of 100 businesses,
30 of which are committed to obtaining the Action Reduction certification.
October 2023 to June 2024 – Bécancour RCM and Nicolet-Yamaska RCM
Objective: 800 tons of organic material diverted from landfills with the participation of 150 businesses,
50 of which are committed to obtaining the Action Reduction certification.
SUPPORT TOWARDS REDUCTION AND WASTE VALORIZATION
The objective is to educate and support the voluntary businesses in diverting their organic materials and optimizing their practices of waste reduction at the source, reuse, and waste management.
Two support options are available, depending on the capacity and motivation of the business:
Basic support for all businesses includes:
- An initial assessment of the business, including a discussion with the person responsible for it to find out what their needs are and what improvements they are considering for their business;
- Assistance in implementing the collection of organic materials and training in sorting.
Personalized support will be offered to 30% of participating businesses if they wish to implement actions aimed at reduction at the source and obtain recognition of their efforts, such as the Action Reduction certification. This includes:
- Basic support;
- Analysis of the measures currently in place in the business, identification of the objectives aiming towards zero waste and new eco-responsible actions;
- Support in the quantification of waste generated by the business;
- Assistance in the implementation of strategies for reduction at the source, reuse and recovery of residual materials adapted to the business;
- Support in the implementation of the various measures retained by the business and follow-up of the progress made;
- Assistance and processing of the application for certification;
- Action Reduction® certification and communication activities.
Earth Day Canada
5818, boulevard Saint-Laurent
Montréal (Québec) H2T 1T3 Canada