The Fonds Éco IGA, created in 2008 by IGA grocery stores IGA in Quebec, drives sustainable development in Quebec communities. It provides financing for concrete, sustainable projects that reflect local realities and that aim to protect, conserve and respect the environment.
To date, the Fonds Éco IGA has financed more than 2,500 projects throughout the province. Since its launch, it has awarded $1 million per year to various environmental initiatives.
Since 2008, IGA grocery stores have partnered with Earth Day to implement numerous action programs for the community:
- Zero Waste Festival
- The Zero Waste Festival is a must for people who want to reduce their waste and take simple, sustainable actions to protect our planet! The Fonds Éco IGA shares these values and will be an official partner of the event for the 3rd consecutive year in 2020.
- Waste management
- In collaboration with Earth Day, Sobeys Québec has set up a voluntary program to help IGA grocers optimize waste management in their stores.
- Distribution of eco-friendly items
- Since 2010, our tour to distribute eco-friendly items has been raising awareness among thousands of people! After distributing rainwater collection barrels and backyard composters for several years, we now raise awareness among residents of Quebec and New Brunswick by distributing starter kits to help reduce the use of single-use plastic.
- Food Fight conferences
- Since 2015, our food waste experts have been leading conferences for people throughout Quebec and New Brunswick on the topic of fighting food waste at home. These conferences are also available to organizations during their lunch hour.
- Launch of the first refrigerated cargo vans converted to electricity in Canada
- For its 10th anniversary, the Fonds Éco IGA unveiled the first 4 refrigerated cargo vans in the country to be converted to electricity. For the first time in Canada, this innovative initiative made it possible to deliver food to people’s homes using zero-emission vehicles.
- Contest Drive a Tesla
- For the 10th anniversary of Fonds Éco IGA, Earth Day gave one IGA customer the chance to drive the most recent Tesla Model 3 for one year!
- Food Fight – Holiday contest
- To support the Food Fight program, a holiday contest was held for the general public, featuring a workshop to fight against food waste at home and the opportunity to receive Stefano Faita as a guest in your kitchen.
- Financial support
- From 2008 to 2014, the Fonds Éco IGA provided a grant to municipalities, MRCs, environmental NGOs and educational institutions to carry out projects in active transportation and the four R’s.
- The ZinZen project in Nicolet
- For its 5th anniversary, the Fonds Éco IGA partnered with Earth Day to create the very first ZinZen space in Nicolet.
- The 2013 Urban Banquet
- As part of the launch of the first ZinZenspace, the honorary presidency of the Urban Banquet was awarded to Sobeys Québec/IGA, partner of the event.
Tous les Jours / Jour de la Terre
5818, boulevard Saint-Laurent
Montréal (Québec) H2T 1T3 Canada