StreetPLAY is a simple idea: open neighbourhood streets to children and youth so they can connect with friends and play right outside their front door. By organizing safe and accessible free play for all kids, neighbourhoods are transformed into vibrant community play spaces.
Outdoor play is a natural part of childhood that has been disappearing for decades, due in part to traffic and safety concerns. StreetPLAY was once common in cities worldwide, and there is a growing trend to bring it back.
TOOLKIT Coming Soon!
Thanks to the generous support of
StreetPLAY 2018 Important Notice
You can still sign up for StreetPLAY 2018!
Please read the following:
- The City of Toronto has extended the deadline to sign up for summer StreetPLAY to June 8th, to begin StreetPLAY by July 1st.
- The next application deadline for StreetPLAY is July 1st to begin StreetPLAY on September 1st.
- Permits are valid for 1 year.
- Earth Day Canada is working with the City of Toronto on a simplified application form and process. Until the new form is complete, you can use a provisional application form available here.
For the application:
- Write StreetPLAY in the “other” section of the form where it asks type of event.
- Street Play applicants DO NOT need to provide the following (simply write N/A in appropriate section):
- A Solid Waste Management plan
- An Emergency Action Plan
- A Noise Exemption
You must include:
- A copy of the notice you used to inform your neighbours about the meeting to organize StreetPLAY in your neighbourhood.
- A copy of the notification to neighbours of your StreetPLAY decision and the schedule that was agreed upon.
- Submit the permit application and documents to your City Councillor’s office. They will be sent to the City of Toronto’s permit office.